From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-14 14:09:48

Ok, we're up and running. There is a new mailing list available:

        docs_at_[hidden]

You must be subscribed in order to post. Subscribe here:

The web archives of this list on the www.open-mpi.org web site
currently give a "permission denied" issue; that'll be fixed in the
next [business] day or two.

Anyone who is interested -- please go subscribe on the docs list and
let's continue the conversation over there.

On Sep 14, 2007, at 11:47 AM, Richard Friedman wrote:

> Sorry, but LaTex is not a viable solution for open source community
> development of documentation. DocBook (XML) is one solution,
> another is DITA.
> I'm looking into some other open source communities that I'm
> familiar with to see what they're using.
>
> The general requirement for authoring/publishing tools would be
> something like:
> 1. tools themselves are open source
> 2. free
> 3. available on nearly all platforms (W/XP, Linux, MacOSX,
> Solaris, ...)
> 4. generates at least pdf, HTML,
> 5. includes source management/version control
> 6. provides some opportunity for localization
>
> We'll discuss this more once our docs email alias is established,
> which could be later today. Watch for an announcement from Jeff
> Squyres.
>
> Amit Kumar Saha wrote:
>>> Docbook gets my vote, especially when one considers the html and
>>> pdf output. I'd prefer LaTeX, but then I come from an academic
>>> background :-)
>> I prefer LaTex too, the reason is same. Academic background :) and
>> new found love in LaTex Regards, Amit
>
> <rchrd.vcf>

Cisco Systems