From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-31 09:15:56

On Aug 31, 2007, at 9:07 AM, James Conway wrote:

> The patch for limiting the port range used by OpenMPI sounds useful.
> This *is* an issue with firewalls. For a dedicated cluster behind a
> firewall that's ok, but for harnessing available hardware (eg, Mac
> OSX systems) in the wee hours its not. Gets my vote!

Note that restricting TCP ports will not allow OMPI to be used
between clusters that have a firewall between them. There are other
issues involved, such as public IP address mirrors, etc.

George's patch *may* allow OMPI to be used when a per-host firewall
restricts which ports may be used, as long as all hosts are allowed
unfettered access to the incoming port range.

Cisco Systems