From: Tim Prins (tprins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-14 09:56:29

Hi Jody,

jody wrote:
> Hi
> I installed openmpi 1.2.2 on a quad core intel machine running fedora 6
> (hostname plankton)
> I set PATH and LD_LIBRARY in the .zshrc file:
Note that .zshrc is only used for interactive logins. You need to setup
your system so the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH is also set for
non-interactive logins. See this zsh FAQ entry for what files you need
to modify:
http://zsh.sourceforge.net/FAQ/zshfaq03.html#l19

(BTW: I do not use zsh, but my assumption is that the file you want to
set the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in is .zshenv)
> $ echo $PATH
> /opt/openmpi/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/jody/bin
>
> $ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /opt/openmpi/lib:
>
> When i run
> $ mpirun -np 2 ./MPITest2
> i get the message
> ./MPI2Test2: error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.0:
> ./MPI2Test2: error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.0:
>
> However
> $ mpirun -np 2 --prefix /opt/openmpi ./MPI2Test2
> works. Any explanation?
Yes, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is probably not set correctly. Try running:
mpirun -np 2 ldd ./MPITest2

This should show what libraries your executable is using. Make sure all
of the libraries are resolved.

Also, try running:
mpirun -np 1 printenv |grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to see what the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is for you executables. Note that you
can NOT simply run mpirun echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as the variable will be
interpreted in the executing shell.

> Second problem:
> I have also installed openmpi 1.2.2 on an AMD machine running gentoo
> linux (hostname nano_02).
> Here as well PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are set correctly,
> and
> $ mpirun -np 2 ./MPITest2
> works locally on nano_02.
>
> If, however, from plankton i call
> $ mpirun -np 2 --prefix /opt/openmpi --host nano_02 ./MPI2Test2
> the call hangs with no output whatsoever.
> Any pointers on how to solve this problem?
Try running:
mpirun --debug-daemons -np 2 --prefix /opt/openmpi --host nano_02
./MPI2Test2

This should give some more output as to what is happening.

Hope this helps,

Tim