From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-02 19:22:40

Allocating memory is one thing. Being able to use it it's a
completely different story. Once you allocate the 8GB array can you
fill it with some random values ? This will force the kernel to
really give you the 8GB of memory. If this segfault, then that's the
problem. If not ... the problem come from Open MPI I guess.

   Thanks,
     george.

On Aug 2, 2007, at 6:59 PM, Juan Carlos Guzman wrote:

> Jelena, George,
>
> Thanks for your replies.
>
>> it is possible that the problem is not in MPI - I've seen similar
>> problem
>> on some of our workstations some time ago.
>> Juan, are you sure you can allocate more than 2x 4GB memory of
>> data in
>> non-mpi program on your system?
> Yes, I did a small program that can allocate more than 8 GB of memory
> (using malloc()).
>
> Cheers,
> Juan-Carlos.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Jelena
>>
>> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, George Bosilca wrote:
>>
>>> Juan,
>>>
>>> I have to check to see what's wrong there. We build Open MPI with
>>> full support for data transfer up to sizeof(size_t) bytes. so you
>>> case should be covered. However, there are some known problems with
>>> the MPI interface for data larger than sizeof(int). As an example
>>> the
>>> _count field in the MPI_Status structure will be truncated ...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> george.

>> --
>> Jelena Pjesivac-Grbovic, Pjesa
>> Graduate Research Assistant
>> Innovative Computing Laboratory
>> Computer Science Department, UTK
>> Claxton Complex 350
>> (865) 974 - 6722
>> (865) 974 - 6321
>> jpjesiva_at_[hidden]
>>
>> "The only difference between a problem and a solution is that
>> people understand the solution."
>> -- Charles Kettering
>>

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 15:06:56 -0500
>> From: "Adams, Samuel D Contr AFRL/HEDR" <Samuel.Adams_at_[hidden]>
>> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] torque and openmpi
>> To: "Open MPI Users" <users_at_[hidden]>
>> f.mil>

>> I reran the configure script with the --with-tm flag this time.
>> Thanks
>> for the info. It was working before for clients with ssh properly
>> configured (i.e. my account only). But now it is working without
>> having
>> to use ssh for all accounts (i.e. biologist and physicists users).
>>
>> Sam Adams
>> General Dynamics Information Technology
>> Phone: 210.536.5945

>>> mpi_testsome_f90.lo mpi_waitall_f90.lo mpi_waitsome_f90.lo
>>> mpi_wtick_f90.lo mpi_wtime_f90.lo -lnsl -lutil -lm
>>>
>>> libtool: link: pgf90 -shared -fPIC -Mnomain .libs/mpi.o .libs/
>>> mpi_sizeof.o .libs/mpi_comm_spawn_multiple_f90.o .libs/
>>> mpi_testall_f90.o .libs/mpi_testsome_f90.o .libs/
>>> mpi_waitall_f90.o .libs/mpi_waitsome_f90.o .libs/
>>> mpi_wtick_f90.o .libs/mpi_wtime_f90.o -lnsl -lutil -lm -Wl,-soname -