From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-28 08:42:44

Ricardo was generous to give me access to two configurations with the
Intel 10 compilers:

1. 64 bit EMT64 desktop / server
2. 32 bit centrino-based laptop

On the 64 bit platform, both the 32 bit and 64 bit intel compilers
worked fine with Open MPI.

On the 32 bit platform, I was able to replicate the problem with a
trivial Open MPI application (even when I configured Open MPI --
without-memory-manager): mpicc segv's about 5 lines into the program
when it executes the following statement in opal/runtime/
opal_init.c:opal_util_init():

     if( ++opal_util_initialized != 1 ) {

This makes no sense; there is no reason there should be a segv on
this line. opal_util_initialized is a global variable instantiated
in that file; it is not on the heap.

My gut feeling is that this is a compiler bug. I unfortunately do
not have the time to track this down any further.

On Jul 23, 2007, at 10:05 AM, Andrea wrote:

>>> From: Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
>>>
>>> Can you be a bit more specific than "it dies"? Are you talking about
>>> mpif90/mpif77, or your app?
>>
>> Sorry, tuspid me. When executing mpif90 or mpif77 I have a
>> segfault and it
>> doesn't compile. I've tried both with or without input (i.e.,
>> giving it
>> something to compile or just executing it expecting to see the
>> normal "no
>> files given" kind of message). The intel suite compiled openmpi
>> without
>> problems.
>
> Hello,
>
> I've the same problem: when I try to run any mpi-command (like
> mpicc, mpirun,
> ompi_info, ...) I recive a "Segmentation Fault". I've tried both
> openMPI version
> 1.2.3 and version 1.2.4b0, but all I get is:
>
> $ ompi_info --all
> Segmentation fault
>
> Some info on my system:
>
> - GNU/Linux, 2.6.22 Kernel, Slackware 12.0
> - Genuine Intel(R) CPU, T2400 @ 1.83GHz GenuineIntel (Toshiba
> A-100 Laptop)
>
> - Intel C Compiler 9.1.047
> - Intel Fortran Compiler 9.1.041
>
> The configure script options I've used are:
>
> --prefix=/usr CC=icc CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort
>
> If you need more info just tell me.
>
> Thank you for you attention.
>
> Andrea

Cisco Systems