From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-23 17:03:23

It *should* work. We stopped developing for the Cisco (mVAPI) stack
a while ago, but as far as we know, it still works fine. See:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=openfabrics#vapi-support

That being said, your approach of "it ain't broke, don't fix it" is
certainly quite reasonable.

On Jul 23, 2007, at 4:51 PM, Jeff Pummill wrote:

> Hmmm...compilation SEEMED to go OK with the following .configure...
>
> ./configure --prefix=/nfsutil/openmpi-1.2.3 --with-mvapi=/usr/local/
> topspin/ CC=icc CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort CFLAGS=-m64 CXXFLAGS=-
> m64 FFLAGS=-m64 FCFLAGS=-m64
>
> And the following looks promising...
>
> ./ompi_info | grep mvapi
> MCA btl: mvapi (MCA v1.0, API v1.0.1, Component v1.2.3)
>
> I have a post-doc that will test some application code in the next
> day or so. Maybe the old stuff worked just fine!
>

> Jeff F. Pummill
> Senior Linux Cluster Administrator
> University of Arkansas
> Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
>

> Jeff Pummill wrote:
>> Good morning all, I have been very impressed so far with OpenMPI
>> on one of our smaller clusters running Gnu compilers and Gig-E
>> interconnects, so I am considering a build on our large cluster.
>> The potential problem is that the compilers are Intel 8.1 versions
>> and the Infiniband is supported by three year old Topspin (now
>> Cisco) drivers and libraries. Basically, this is a cluster that
>> runs a very heavy workload using MVAPICH, thus we have adopted the
>> "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" methodology...thus all of the
>> drivers, libraries, and compilers are approximately 3 years old.
>> Would it be reasonable to expect OpenMPI 1.2.3 to build and run in
>> such an environment? Thanks! Jeff Pummill University of Arkansas

Cisco Systems