From: Ralph H Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-18 14:15:00

On 7/18/07 11:46 AM, "Bill Johnstone" <beejstone3_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> --- Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> No, the session directory is created in the tmpdir - we don't create
>> anything anywhere else, nor do we write any executables anywhere.
>
> In the case where the TMPDIR env variable isn't specified, what is the
> default assumed by Open MPI/orte?

It rattles through a logic chain:

1. ompi mca param value

2. TMPDIR in environ

3. TMP in environ

4. default to /tmp just so we have something to work with...

>> Just out of curiosity: although I know you have different arch's on
>> your
>> nodes, the tests you are running are all executing on the same arch,
>> correct???
>
> Yes, tests all execute on the same arch, although I am led to another
> question. Can I use a headnode of a particular arch, but in my mpirun
> hostfile, specify only nodes of another arch, and launch from the
> headnode? In other words, no computation is done on the headnode of
> arch A, all computation is done on nodes of arch B, but the job is
> launched from the headnode -- would that be acceptable?

As long as the prefix is set such that the correct binary executables can be
found, then you should be fine.

> I should be clear that for the problem you are helping me with, *all*
> the nodes involved are running the same arch, OS, compiler, system
> libraries, etc. The multiple arch question is for edification for the
> future.

No problem - I just wanted to eliminate one possible complication for now.

Thanks
Ralph