From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-17 17:40:48

Open MPI needs to create a temporary directory structure that we call the
"session directory". This error is telling you that Open MPI was unable to
create that directory, probably due to a permission issue.

We decide on the root directory for the session directory using a
progression. You can direct where you want it to go by setting the TMPDIR
environment variable, or (to set it just for us) using -mca tmpdir_base foo
on the mpirun command (or you can set OMPI_MCA_tmpidir_base=foo in your
environment), where "foo" is the root of your tmp directory you want us to
use (e.g., /tmp).

Hope that helps

On 7/17/07 3:09 PM, "Bill Johnstone" <beejstone3_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> When I run with --debug-daemons, I get:
> <Begin mpirun output>
> [node5.x86-64:09920] [0,0,1] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Error in file
> runtime/orte_init_stage1.c at line 626
> It looks like orte_init failed for some reason; your parallel process
> is
> fail during orte_init; some of which are due to configuration or
> environment problems. This failure appears to be an internal failure;
> here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
> Open MPI developer):
> orte_session_dir failed
> --> Returned value -1 instead of ORTE_SUCCESS
> [node5.x86-64:09920] [0,0,1] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Error in file
> runtime/orte_system_init.c at line 42
> [node5.x86-64:09920] [0,0,1] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Error in file
> runtime/orte_init.c at line 52
> Open RTE was unable to initialize properly. The error occured while
> attempting to orte_init(). Returned value -1 instead of ORTE_SUCCESS.
> <End mpirun output>
> Where would you suggest I look next?
> Also, if it makes any difference, /usr/local is on a read-only NFSROOT.
> Only /tmp and /var are writeable per-node.
> Thank you very much for your help so far.
> --- George Bosilca <bosilca_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Sorry. The --debug was supposed to be --debug-devel. But I suspect
>> that if you have a normal build then there will be not much output.
>> However, --debug-daemons should give enough output so we can at least
>> have a starting point.
>> george.
>> output
>>> OK, I added those, but got a message about needing to supply a
>>> suitable
>>> debugger. If I supply the "--debugger gdb" argument, I just get