From: Bill Johnstone (beejstone3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-17 17:09:11

When I run with --debug-daemons, I get:

<Begin mpirun output>

[node5.x86-64:09920] [0,0,1] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Error in file
runtime/orte_init_stage1.c at line 626
It looks like orte_init failed for some reason; your parallel process
is
likely to abort. There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during orte_init; some of which are due to configuration or
environment problems. This failure appears to be an internal failure;
here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
Open MPI developer):

  orte_session_dir failed
  --> Returned value -1 instead of ORTE_SUCCESS

[node5.x86-64:09920] [0,0,1] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Error in file
runtime/orte_system_init.c at line 42
[node5.x86-64:09920] [0,0,1] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Error in file
runtime/orte_init.c at line 52
Open RTE was unable to initialize properly. The error occured while
attempting to orte_init(). Returned value -1 instead of ORTE_SUCCESS.

<End mpirun output>

Where would you suggest I look next?

Also, if it makes any difference, /usr/local is on a read-only NFSROOT.
 Only /tmp and /var are writeable per-node.

Thank you very much for your help so far.

--- George Bosilca <bosilca_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Sorry. The --debug was supposed to be --debug-devel. But I suspect
> that if you have a normal build then there will be not much output.
> However, --debug-daemons should give enough output so we can at least
>
> have a starting point.
>
> george.
>
> On Jul 17, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Bill Johnstone wrote:
>
> > George Bosilca wrote:
> >
> >> You can start by adding --debug-daemons and --debug to your mpirun
> >> command line. This will generate a lot of output related to the
> >> operations done internally by the launcher. If you send this
> output
> >> to the list we might be able to help you a little bit more.
> >
> > OK, I added those, but got a message about needing to supply a
> > suitable
> > debugger. If I supply the "--debugger gdb" argument, I just get
> > dumped
> > into gdb. I'm not sure what I need to do next to get the launcher
> > output you mentioned. My knowledge of gdb is pretty rudimentary.
>
> > Do I
> > need to set mpirun as the executable, and the use the gdb "run"
> > command
> > with the mpirun arguments?
> >
> > Do I need to rebuild openmpi with --enable-debug?

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?