From: Tim Prins (tprins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-09 10:24:09

Hi Jody,

Sorry for the super long delay. I don't know how this one got lost...

I run like this all the time. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as I
would like. Here is what I do:

1. Log into the machine using ssh -X
2. Run mpirun with the following parameters:
        -mca pls rsh (This makes sure that Open MPI uses the rsh/ssh launcher.
It may not be necessary depending on your setup)
        -mca pls_rsh_agent "ssh -X" (To make sure X information is forwarded.
This might not be necessary if you have ssh setup to always forward X
information)
        --debug-daemons (This ensures that the ssh connections to the backed
nodes are kept open. Otherwise, they are closed and X information cannot
be forwarded. Unfortunately, this will also cause some debugging output
to be printed, but right now there is no other way :( )

So, the complete command is:
mpirun -np 4 -mca pls rsh -mca pls_rsh_agent "ssh -X" --debug-daemons
xterm -e gdb my_prog

I hope this helps. Let me know if you are still experiencing problems.

Tim