From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-19 14:24:24

On Jun 19, 2007, at 10:40 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> From the looks of the patch, it looks like you just want Open MPI to
> restrict itself to a specific range of ports, right? If that's the
> case, we'd probably do this slightly differently (with MCA parameters
> -- we certainly wouldn't want to force everyone to use a hard-coded
> port range). Brian's also re-working some TCP and OOB issues on a /
> tmp branch right now; we'd want to wait until he's done before
> applying a similar patch.

While limiting the ports used by Open MPI might be a good idea, I'm
skeptical about it. For at least 2 reasons:

1. I don't believe the OS to release the binding when we close the
socket. As an example on Linux the kernel sockets are release at a
later moment. That means the socket might be still in use for the
next run.

2. Multiple processes on the same node will try to bind the ports in
same order. Is this really safe ?

   george.