From: Julian Cummings (cummings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-13 14:29:25

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, I will give that a try and repost to the list if problems
remain. I am kind of surprised that compiling with -fpic is not done by
default on a Linux system, since OpenMPI builds as a set of shared
library .so files. Normally you want position-independent code in such
libraries so that, among other reasons, static objects are handled
properly.

Regards, Julian C.

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 11:59 -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> Bummer -- I thought I had replied to that one (perhaps I'm thinking
> that multiple people have posted this and I've replied to some but
> not all of them).
>
> Brock is correct that using "-fpic" to compile your MPI C++ app
> should solve the problem. This information *used* to be posted on
> the PGI web site in their support section, but I can't seem to find
> it any more.
>
> As far as I understand the issue, it's a PGI compiler issue, not an
> OMPI issue.
>

> On Jun 13, 2007, at 12:38 AM, Julian Cummings wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > This is a follow up to a message originally posted by Andrew J
> > Caird on
> > 2006-08-16. No one ever replied to Andrew's message, and I am
> > experiencing
> > exactly the same problem with a more recent version of OpenMPI
> > (1.2.1) and
> > the PGI compiler (7.0). Essentially, the problem is that if you
> > link an MPI
> > application against the mpi_cxx library, at run time you will get a
> > failure
> > with each process giving the following message:
> >
> > C++ runtime abort: internal error: static object marked for
> > destruction more
> > than once
> >
> > If your MPI application does not utilize the MPI C++ bindings, you
> > can link
> > without this library and the runtime errors will go away.
> >
> > Since this problem was reported long ago and no one ever replied to
> > the
> > report, I would assume that this is a bug either in the mpi_cxx
> > library or
> > in the way it is built under the PGI compiler. I could not figure
> > out how
> > to submit a bug report to the open-mpi bug tracking system, so I
> > hope that
> > this message to the users list will suffice. I am attaching my
> > ompi_info
> > --all output to this message. I am running on a Myrinet-based Linux
> > cluster, but the particulars are not relevant for this problem.
> > You can
> > replicate the problem with any trivial MPI application code, such
> > as the
> > standard "hello" program using the standard C interface. I am
> > attaching my
> > hello.c source code. Compile with "mpicxx -o hello hello.c" and
> > run with
> > "mpirun -np 1 ./hello". The runtime error disappears if you
> > compile with
> > "mpicc -o hello hello.c" to avoid linking against the mpi_cxx library.
> >
> > Please let me know if there is any fix available for this problem.
> >
> > Regards, Julian C.
> > <ompi_info.txt.gz>
> > <hello.c>

Dr. Julian C. Cummings                       E-mail: cummings_at_[hidden]
California Institute of Technology           Phone:  626-395-2543
1200 E. California Blvd., Mail Code 158-79   Fax:    626-584-5917
Pasadena, CA 91125                           Office: 125 Powell-Booth