From: victor marian (vctrmarian_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-11 10:06:11

Hi Don,

The first time I ran the program I am working on. It
is perfectly scallable and on 20 processors it ran on
27 seconds (on two processors on 300 seconds).
The I had the curiosity to run it on a pentium D. It
ran in 30 senconds on a single core. On two cores it
ran on 37 seconds (I think something is wrong in the
mixture Solaris+Sunstudio+OpenMpi+Pentium).

I ran then the NAS benchmarks (CG benchmark CLASS A or
B) and the benchmark took 16
 times longer on a SparcII Processor than on my
Pentium D(on one core).
So everything leads to the same conclusion.
I would be curious what such benchmark would give
between a Pentium D and the last generation Sparc
processor.

     Victor

--- Don Kerr <Don.Kerr_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Victor,
>
> Obviously there are many variables involved with
> getting the best
> performance out of a machine and understanding the 2
> environments you
> are comparing would be necessary as well as the job.
> I would not be able
> to get my hands on another E10K for validation or
> projecting possible
> gains myself. If your university is looking to
> expand maybe gettting a
> sales engineer involved for a proper analysis and
> proposal would be of
> interest.
>
> I am curious what benchmark you are using to compare
> the two platforms
> though.
>
> -DON
>
> victor marian wrote:
>
> >Hi Don,
> >
> >Seeing your mail, I suppose you are working at Sun.
> We
> >
> >have a Sun 10000 Server at our university, and my
> >program runs almost as fast on 16 UltraSparc2
> >processors as on a pentium D.The program is
> perfectly
> >scallable. I am a little bit dissapointed. Our
> Sparc
> >II are at 400MHz, and the Pentium D at 2.8GHz. I
> could
> >expect that the pentium is 4 time faster, but not
> 16
> >times.
> >I wonder how a Sparc IV would perform.
> >
> > Victor
> >

> >--- Don Kerr <Don.Kerr_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >

> >>Additionally, Solaris comes with the IB drivers
> and
> >>since the libs are
> >>there OMPI thinks that it is available. You can
> >>suppress this message with
> >> --mca btl_base_warn_component_unused 0
> >>or specifically call out the btls you wish to use,
> >>example
> >> --mca btl self,sm,tcp

> >>uDAPL (a type of

> not
> >>>

> >>have such a card

> >>ethernet. But

> >>You will use the

> memory.
> >>>

> >>so you can ignore

> uDAPL
> >>>

> >>powered network

> >>worry.

> >>installed.

> >>Fortran

> >>find

> >>this

> >>means.

> >>their life, your

=== message truncated ===

Victor MARIAN
Department of Machine Elements and Tribology
University Politehnica of Bucharest
Spl. Indepentendei 313
060042 Bucharest
ROMANIA