From: Code Master (cpp.codemaster_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-07 23:04:22

Hi Jeff (and everyone),

Thanks! Now I have compiled the openmpi-1.2.2 successfully under i386-Linux
(Debian Sarge) with the following configurations:

./configure CFLAGS=-g -pg -O3 --enable-mpi-threads --enable-progress-threads
--enable-static --disable-shared

However when I compile my client program using mpicc and I inserted -static,

(compile is done by a makefile)
mpicc -static -g -pg -O3 -W -Wall -pedantic -std=c99 -o raytrace bbox.o
cr.o env.o fbuf.o geo.o huprn.o husetup.o hutv.o isect.o main.o matrix.o
memory.o poly.o raystack.o shade.o sph.o trace.o tri.o debug.o

 it fails to link and complains that

nction `_int_malloc':
: multiple definition of `_int_malloc'
/usr/lib/libopen-pal.a(lt1-malloc.o)(.text+0x18a0):openmpi-1.2.2/opal/mca/memory/ptmalloc2/malloc.c:3954:
first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: size of symbol `_int_malloc' changed from 1266 in
/usr/lib/libopen-pal.a(lt1-malloc.o) to 1333 in
/home/490_research/490/src/mpi.optimized_profiling//lib/libopen-pal.a(
lt1-malloc.o)

so what could go wrong here?

Is it because openmpi has internal implementatios of system-provided
functions (such as malloc) that are also used in my program, but the one the
client program use is provided by the system whereas the one in the library
has a different internal implementation?

In such case, how could I do the static linking in my client program? I
really need static linking as far as possible to do the profiling.

Thanks!