From: Lie-Quan Lee (liequan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-06 12:05:29

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for willing to put more thought on it. Here is my simplified
story. I have an accelerator physics code, Omega3P that is to perform
complex eigenmode analysis. The algorithm for solving eigensystems
makes use of a 3rd-party sparse direct solver called MUMPS (http://
graal.ens-lyon.fr/MUMPS/). Omega3P is written in C++ with MPI. MUMPS
is written in Fortran 95 with MPI fortran binding. And MUMPS requires
ScaLAPACK and BLACS. (sometime the vendor provides a scientific
library that includes BLACS and ScaLAPACK). They are both written in
Fortran 77 with MPI Fortran binding.

I often need to compile them in various computer platforms with
different compilers for variety of reasons.
As I mentioned before, I use C++ compiler to link the final
executable. That will require MPI Fortran libraries and general
Fortran libraries.

What I did to solve the above problem is, I have a configure script
in which I will detect the compiler and the platform, based on that I
will add compiler and platform specific flags for the Fortran related
stuff (libraries and library path). This does well until it hit next
new platform/compiler...

Some compilers made the above job slightly easier. For example in
Pathscale compiler collection, it provides -lpathfortran for all what
I need to link the executable using c++ compiler with fortran
compiled libraries. So is IBM visual age compiler set if the wraper
compilers (mpcc_r, mpf90_r) are used. The library name (-lxlf90_r) is
different, though.

best regards,
Rich Lee