From: Harald Servat (harald_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-20 03:04:40

Hello George,

George Bosilca wrote:
> Harald,
>
> I check the PERUSE code which generate the MSG_ARRIVED event. There
> seems to be no way to miss one of this events if the following
> conditions are respected:
>
> - the communicator where the message arrive has the MSG_ARRIVED event
> attached
> - if this event is active.

  I do the COMM register and the activation. In fact, I just followed
the "MPI PERUSE: An MPI Extension for Revealing Unexposed Implementation
Information" examples.

> If you can provide the source code of your example, I'll give it a try.

  Sure. I send you the smallest code that reproduces this problem. Run
it with 4 tasks (although it's quite easy to make it run for lesser tasks).

  The output varies from run to run. Sometimes (in very rare) I have 3
MSG_ARRIVED messages, sometimes less.
  Here's a sample:

BSCIT03:~/tests/mpi-tests/peruse>$HOME/aplic/openmpi/1.2/bin/mpirun -np
4 ./mpi_wait
RANK 0: total_msg_arrived = 0
RANK 1 : MSG_ARRIVED comm = 134517424 buf = 0x0 count = 0 peer = 0 tag =
1001
RANK 1: total_msg_arrived = 1
RANK 2 : MSG_ARRIVED comm = 134517424 buf = 0x0 count = 0 peer = 0 tag =
1001
RANK 2: total_msg_arrived = 1
RANK 3: total_msg_arrived = 0

  I'm running OpenMPI 1.2 on a FreeBSD 6.2 machine with a single processor.

Thank you!