From: Rohit_Singh_at_[hidden]
Date: 2007-04-12 16:17:10

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info. It was exactly what I needed to know.

---
Rohit S. Singh                      Phone: (905) 366-6164
Software Developer                  Fax: (905) 273-9789
Logitech International S. A.        Toll Free: 1-866-291-1505
Remote Control Business Unit        http://www.logitech.com/harmony

             Brian Barrett                                              To
             <bbarrett_at_lanl.go         Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
             v>                                                         cc

             Sent by:                                              Subject
             users-bounces_at_ope         Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI for
             n-mpi.org                 Windows?

             04/10/2007 11:52
             AM

             Please respond to
              Open MPI Users
             <users_at_open-mpi.o
                    rg>

On Mar 30, 2007, at 4:23 PM, Rohit_Singh_at_[hidden] wrote:
> I'm somewhat new to OpenMPI, but I'm currently evaluating it as a
> communications mechanism between Windows and Unix servers.
>
> I noticed that under your FAQs (
> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=supported-systems), it says:
>
>       There are plans to support Microsoft Windows in the not-distant
> future.
>
> When is the not-distant future?  Is it in scope for this year?
> Will the
> Windows support require a Unix emulation layer like Cygwin?
>
> I do apologize if the information I'm requesting here is
> confidential in
> nature.
The Windows support is planned, but we don't have a definite time
table.  Much of the work has been done, although there are still
pieces missing.  I believe remote launching is one of those pieces.
The Windows support will be native and will not require Cygwin (which
is part of what is taking us so long -- it's a bit project to move a
UNIX-based code like Open MPI to Windows without sacrificing too much
in maintainability and performance.
Hope this helps,
Brian