From: Brian Barrett (bbarrett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-10 11:52:10

On Mar 30, 2007, at 4:23 PM, Rohit_Singh_at_[hidden] wrote:

> I'm somewhat new to OpenMPI, but I'm currently evaluating it as a
> communications mechanism between Windows and Unix servers.
>
> I noticed that under your FAQs (
> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=supported-systems), it says:
>
> There are plans to support Microsoft Windows in the not-distant
> future.
>
> When is the not-distant future? Is it in scope for this year?
> Will the
> Windows support require a Unix emulation layer like Cygwin?
>
> I do apologize if the information I'm requesting here is
> confidential in
> nature.

The Windows support is planned, but we don't have a definite time
table. Much of the work has been done, although there are still
pieces missing. I believe remote launching is one of those pieces.
The Windows support will be native and will not require Cygwin (which
is part of what is taking us so long -- it's a bit project to move a
UNIX-based code like Open MPI to Windows without sacrificing too much
in maintainability and performance.

Hope this helps,

Brian