From: Durga Choudhury (dpchoudh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-04 10:36:00

Even simpler, you could just write a macro wrapper around MPI_Send (as
opposed to C code). However, if your calls are happening inside a
precompiled library (and you don't have source code for it or don't want to
recompile it) then this won't work and you'd want a real profiler. However,
I don't think you should be tracking PMPI_* calls anyway; those are
implementatiopn details and not user exposed APIs. Am I right, Jeff?
Durga

On 4/4/07, Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2007, at 11:12 AM, pooja_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
> > I want to see how profiling is done .I need to track open mpi _send
> > command.
> > And so need to see how profiling is done.I dont know how to use
> > PMPI_SEND.
> > Can anybody help me???
>
> Generally, you just write an MPI_Send function yourself, like this:
>
> my_send.c:
>
> include "mpi.h"
> int MPI_Send(void *buf, int count, MPI_Datatype type, int dest,
> int tag, MPI_Comm comm) {
> int ret;
> /* ...gather whatever statistics you want ... */
> ret = PMPI_Send(buf, count, type, dest, tag, comm);
> /* ...gather whatever statistics you want ... */
> return ret;
> }
>
> Then compile my_send.c into your application (either as a standalone
> library or as part of the application itself). It'll naturally
> intercept all calls to MPI_Send (as long as it is the rightmost
> linker unit before -lmpi on the command line -- so, when using the
> wrapper compilers, the last linker unit on the right, since "-lmpi"
> is added automatically by the wrapper compilers), do your stats
> gathering, invoke the back-end PMPI function, etc.
>
> See chapter 8 of the MPI-1 standard for more information:
>
> http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-11-html/node152.html#Node152
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems

Its a battle between humans and communists;
Which side are you in?
.