From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-03 17:05:15

Do your different subnets violate the assumptions listed here?

     http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=tcp#tcp-routability

We have not implemented any workarounds to say "subnet X is routable
to subnet Y" because no one had asked for them. Such workarounds are
possible, of course, but I don't know what kind of timeframe we would
be able to implement them in. Contributions would always be
accepted! :-)

Probably the easiest workaround would be a top-level MCA parameter
that effectively tells OMPI to assume that *all* TCP addresses are
routable to each other. That might not be too difficult to implement.

On Apr 3, 2007, at 4:11 PM, Xie, Hugh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got the follow error message while running: 'mpirun -v -np 2
> -machinefile hosts.txt testc.x'
>
> Process 0.1.1 is unable to reach 0.1.0 for MPI communication.
> If you specified the use of a BTL component, you may have
> forgotten a component (such as "self") in the list of
> usable components.
> Process 0.1.0 is unable to reach 0.1.1 for MPI communication.
> If you specified the use of a BTL component, you may have
> forgotten a component (such as "self") in the list of
> usable components.
> It looks like MPI_INIT failed for some reason; your parallel
> process is
> fail during MPI_INIT; some of which are due to configuration or
> environment
> problems. This failure appears to be an internal failure; here's some
> additional information (which may only be relevant to an Open MPI
> developer):
>
> PML add procs failed
> --> Returned "Unreachable" (-12) instead of "Success" (0)
>

> The same commands works if the content in hosts.txt is in same subnet.
> Once I switch to hosts in different subnet, it stop working. I am
> using
> ompi 1.2.
> Please help.

> - - - - - - - - - -
>
> This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use
> of the designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not the
> intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any
> review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is
> strictly prohibited. This communication is for information
> purposes only and should not be regarded as an offer to sell or as
> a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial product, an
> official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official
> statement of Lehman Brothers. Email transmission cannot be
> guaranteed to be secure or error-free. Therefore, we do not
> represent that this information is complete or accurate and it
> should not be relied upon as such. All information is subject to
> change without notice.
>
> --------
> IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:
> Please be advised that any discussion of U.S. tax matters contained
> within this communication (including any attachments) is not
> intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose
> of (i) avoiding U.S. tax related penalties or (ii) promoting,
> marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or
> matter addressed herein.

Cisco Systems