From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-30 14:06:31

You should be able to get a core dump pretty easily by doing
something like this:

     { char *foo = 0; *foo = 13; }

Ensure that your coredumpsize limit is set to "unlimited" in the
shell on all nodes where you are running your MPI processes. It's
also helpful to set Linux (I'm assuming you're using Linux...?) to
append the core filename with the PID of the process that created it
so that you don't have multiple processes all writing to a single
file named "core" (particularly in a network filesystem kind of
scenario) because you'll get a single file that may or may not be
usable.

On Mar 30, 2007, at 12:11 PM, Jeff Stuart wrote:

> I'm using OpenMPI, and the documentation says that only a totalview
> style of debugger can be used. With that in mind, all I want to do is
> get a core-dump when a process crashes. I can then just load the core
> into GDB. Is there any easy way to do this?
>
> I tried calling signal(SIGSEGV, SIG_DFL); signal(SIGABRT, SIG_DFL); to
> no avail. All that happens is that I don't get a call stack dump
> anymore.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jeff

Cisco Systems