From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-30 13:59:30

Short version: just don't list that host in the OMPI hostfile.

Long version:

In LAM, we had the constraint that you *had* to include the local
host in the hostfile that you lambooted. This was undesirable in
some cases, such as lambooting from a cluster's head node (where you
didn't want to run launch any MPI processes). So as a workaround, we
created the "schedule=no" attribute such that your lamboot would
include the node, but we wouldn't [by default] run any MPI processes
on it.

In Open MPI, we do not have the restriction that you must include the
local host in the hostfile that you mpirun on. So equivalent
functionality in Open MPI is simply to leave the local host out of
the hostfile.

Sidenote -- maybe I should create a "I used to be a LAM user" section
of the FAQ...

On Mar 30, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Warner Yuen wrote:

> In LAM/MPI, I can use "portal.private schedule=no" if I want to
> launch a job from a specific node but not schedule it for any work.
> I can't seem to find reference to an equivalent in Open MPI.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Warner
>

> Warner Yuen
> Scientific Computing Consultant