From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-27 14:15:06

Justin,

There is no GM MTL. Therefore, the first mpirun allow the use of
every available BTL, while the second one don't allow intra-node
communications or self. The correct mpirun command line should be:

mpirun -np 4 --mca btl gm,self ...

   george.

On Mar 27, 2007, at 12:18 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:

> Having a user who requires some of the features of gfortran in
> 4.1.2, I
> recently began building a new image. The issue is that "-mca btl
> gm" fails
> while "-mca mtl gm" works. I have not yet done any benchmarking,
> as I was
> wondering if the move to mtl is part of the upgrade. Below are the
> packages
> I rebuilt.
>
> Kernel 2.6.16.27 -> 2.6.20.1
> Gcc 4.1.1 -> 4.1.2
> GM Drivers 2.0.26 -> 2.0.26 (with patches for newer kernels)
> OpenMPI 1.1.4 -> 1.2
>

> The following works as expected:
> /usr/local/ompi-gnu/bin/mpirun -np 4 -mca mtl gm --host
> node84,node83 ./xhpl
>
> The following fails:
> /usr/local/ompi-gnu/bin/mpirun -np 4 -mca btl gm --host
> node84,node83 ./xhpl
>
> I've attached gziped files as suggested on the "Getting Help"
> section of the
> website and the output from the failed mpirun. Both nodes are
> known good
> Myrinet nodes, using FMA to map.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Justin Bronder
>
> Advanced Computing Research Lab
> University of Maine, Orono
> 20 Godfrey Dr
> Orono, ME 04473
> www.clusters.umaine.edu
> <config.log.gz>
> <ompi_info.gz>
> <error_output>

"Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other
half may reach you"
                                   Kahlil Gibran