From: David Bronke (whitelynx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-15 13:25:12

I've been trying to get OpenMPI working on two of the computers at a
lab I help administer, and I'm running into a rather large issue. When
running anything using mpirun as a normal user, I get the following

$ mpirun --no-daemonize --host
mpirun noticed that job rank 0 with PID 0 on node "localhost" exited
on signal 13.
[trixie:18104] ERROR: A daemon on node localhost failed to start as expected.
[trixie:18104] ERROR: There may be more information available from
[trixie:18104] ERROR: the remote shell (see above).
[trixie:18104] The daemon received a signal 13.
8 additional processes aborted (not shown)

However, running the same exact command line as root works fine:

$ sudo mpirun --no-daemonize --host
p is 8, my_rank is 0
p is 8, my_rank is 1
p is 8, my_rank is 2
p is 8, my_rank is 3
p is 8, my_rank is 6
p is 8, my_rank is 7
Greetings from process 1!

Greetings from process 2!

Greetings from process 3!

p is 8, my_rank is 5
p is 8, my_rank is 4
Greetings from process 4!

Greetings from process 5!

Greetings from process 6!

Greetings from process 7!

I've looked up signal 13, and have found that it is apparently
SIGPIPE; I also found a thread on the LAM-MPI site:
However, this thread seems to indicate that the problem would be in
the application, (/workspace/bronke/mpi/hello in this case) but there
are no pipes in use in this app, and the fact that it works as
expected as root doesn't seem to fit either. I have tried running
mpirun with --verbose and it doesn't show any more output than without
it, so I've run into a sort of dead-end on this issue. Does anyone
know of any way I can figure out what's going wrong or how I can fix

David H. Bronke
Lead Programmer
G33X Nexus Entertainment
Support Web Standards!