From: Reuti (reuti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-12 15:26:45

Am 12.03.2007 um 19:55 schrieb Ralph Castain:

> I'll have to look into it - I suspect this is simply an erroneous
> message
> and that no daemon is actually being started.
>
> I'm not entirely sure I understand what's happening, though, in
> your code.
> Are you saying that mpirun starts some number of application
> processes which
> run merrily along, and then qsub sends out USR1/2 signals followed
> by STOP
> and then KILL in an effort to abort the job? So the application
> processes
> don't normally terminate, but instead are killed via these signals?

If you specify -notify in SGE with the qsub, then jobs are warned by
the sge_shepered (parent if the job) during execution, so that they
could perfom some proper shutdown action, before they are really
stopped/killed:

for suspend: USR1 -wait-defined-time- STOP
for kill: USR2 -wait-defined-time- KILL

Worth to be noted: the signals are sent to the complete processgroup
of the job created by the jobscript and mpirun, but not to each
daemon which is created by the internal qrsh on any of the slave
nodes! This should be orte's duty.

Question is also: are OpenMPI jobs surviving a STOP for some time at
all, or will there be timing issues due to communication timeouts?

HTH - Reuti