From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-06 09:51:41

On Mar 5, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Michael wrote:

> I have discovered a problem with the Fortran90 interfaces for all
> types of communication when one uses derived datatypes (I'm currently
> using openmpi-1.3a1r13918 [for testing] and openmpi-1.1.2 [for
> compatibility with an HPC system]), for example
> call MPI_RECV(tsk,1,MPI_TASKSTATE,src,
> where tsk is a Fortran 90 structure and MPI_TASKSTATE has been
> At the moment I can't imagine a way to modify the OpenMPI interface
> generation to work around this besides switching to --with-mpi-f90-
> size=small.

This is unfortunately a known problem -- not just with Open MPI, but
with the F90 bindings specification in MPI. :-( Since there's no
F90 equivalent of C's (void*), there's no way to pass a variable of
arbitrary type through the MPI F90 bindings. Hence, all we can do is
define bindings for all the known types (i.e., various dimension
sizes of the MPI types).

Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit
Cisco Systems