From: Grismer, Matthew J Civ AFRL/VAAC (Matthew.Grismer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-02 13:12:04

I'm using OpenMPI on an Xserve cluster running OS X Server 10.4.8. The
user directories exist on an XserveRAID connected to the master node via
fibre channel. So, on the master node the full pathname for the user
directories is /Volumes/RAID1/users1. The compute nodes of the cluster
automount the user directories via NFS, so the full path to the user
directories appears on the nodes as /xhome/users1. I created a hostfile
list of all the compute nodes on the cluster, not including the master
node. When I attempt to run a program in my home directory matt from
the master node with

mpirun -hostfile nodes -np 4 program

it fails because it cannot find program. If I add the -wdir option and
specify the directory as /xhome/users1/matt, everything is fine.

My question is this, how does OpenMPI determine your working directory,
and is there a way to fix this without the -wdir option? For example,
if you look at the PWD environment variable, it is always
/xhome/users1/matt, even on the master. If you use the pwd command,
however, you get different the two different results on the master and
the nodes.

Thanks.

Matt

Matthew Grismer