From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-23 09:51:50

There are 2 answers for this question.
1. If only some of the processes on a communicator are on the same
node, then the point-to-point communications generated by the
collective call between these processes will always use shared memory
(if shared memory is enabled).
2. If all processes in the communicator are on the same node, a
special version of the collective will be used. Open MPI have special
version over shared memory for most of the MPI collective calls.
These shared memory aware collectives are supposedly faster than the
normal point-to-point version.

   Hope this helps,
     george.