From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-10 07:54:27

FYI. The MPI Forum is re-convening to make some corrections to the
MPI-2 standard. Note that this is *not* a call for new features to
MPI; it's a call for help in fixing the bugs in the current MPI-2
spec. Bill Gropp's e-mail below briefly describes the current state
of affairs and gives a URL containing more information (including how
to join the mpi-21 mailing list).

NOTE: Pardon the posting to multiple lists simultaneously -- the
intent is to spread this message far and wide to find people who are
interested in helping with defining MPI (be warned: Rusty Lusk
correctly characterized this as "grubby, grubby work"). These four
lists share a common listserver; it should be smart enough to only
send this message once to people who are subscribed to more than one
of the lists in the "To:" line.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: William Gropp <gropp_at_[hidden]>
> Date: February 9, 2007 10:35:18 AM EST
> To: mpi-21_at_[hidden]
> Subject: MPI 2.1
>
> Welcome to the MPI 2.1 discussions
>
> The MPI 2.1 web page is available at http://www.mpi-forum.org/
> mpi2_1/. This page contains a link to the current errata
> discussion (please use this link through the forum page, as we may
> move this page in the future). You will find on this page many
> issues that have been raised and are still open, as well as a draft
> ballot for the third round of errata items. All items are open for
> discussion and new items may be submitted to mpi-21_at_[hidden]
> or to mpi-comments_at_mpi-forum.org.
>
> The first order of business is to determine the rules for voting.
> The rules that the MPI Forum has been using are posted on the MPI
> 2.1 web page (http://www.mpi-forum.org/mpi2_1/); the history of
> errata votes (linked off of that page) shows which institutions
> have participated in the last two ballots. I suggest that we
> discuss updates to these rules to address the fact that we probably
> won't have face-to-face meetings, at least in the beginning. Then
> the current voting members (based on the last two votes) can vote
> on that rule change.
>
> Discussions of the technical issues can start at any time (in fact,
> the page of issues has been available since before the original
> errata discussions). Send mail about these issues to mpi-21_at_mpi-
> forum.org.
>
> Bill

Server Virtualization Business Unit
Cisco Systems