From: Ali Eghlima (Ali_Eghlima_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-22 15:51:02

Hi Ralph,

I could run any test that you want me to run to diagnose the problem.

Thanks again, Have a great holiday

Ali

Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]>
Sent by: users-bounces_at_[hidden]
12/22/2006 03:28 PM
Please respond to
Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>

Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
cc

Subject
Re: [OMPI users] Open MPI 1.1.2 stdout problem with IBM AIX 5.3

Thanks Ali. That is indeed helpful.

I personally launch using rsh (both on OSX and Linux) frequently and have
no problem with IO forwarding. So it must be something about the AIX
environment that is causing the issue.

Debug daemons should have nothing to do with the application process’
stdio channels. I’ll take another look at that code and see if there is
some unexpected interaction that might be occurring.

As I said earlier, though, there is little we can do about AIX at this
time due to lack of access to that environment. If we can find someone
with access and willing to help, we will explore it further.

Ralph

On 12/22/06 11:29 AM, "Ali Eghlima" <Ali_Eghlima_at_[hidden]> wrote:

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the quick reply. The launch environment is rsh. I was also
puzzled, when I find out --debug-daemons option
makes mpirun to work for a simple case.

Thanks again

Ali,

Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]>
Sent by: users-bounces_at_[hidden] 12/22/2006 10:49 AM
Please respond to
Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
cc
Subject
Re: [OMPI users] Open MPI 1.1.2 stdout problem with IBM AIX 5.3

Hi Ali

I have seen this reported twice now – I think from two different sources,
but I could be incorrect. Unfortunately, we don’t have access to an AIX
cluster to investigate the problem. We don’t see it on any other platform
at this time.

Could you tell me something more about your cluster? In particular, it
would help to know your launch environment (e.g., rsh/ssh, SLURM, TM,
etc.). The noted behavior of using —debug-daemons to resolve the problem
has me puzzled as that flag only causes the daemons to keep their stdio
ports open – it has nothing to do with the application processes nor the
I/O forwarding subsystem.

I can suggest a couple of options in the interim, though I don’t know that
they will solve the problem:

1. You could upgrade to the 1.2 beta release. The runtime underwent
some significant changes that might help here; or
2. You could try configuring Open MPI with “--disable-pty-support”.
The I/O forwarding system is currently based upon pty’s. We have seen a
problem on one other platform where the pty support wasn’t quite what Open
MPI expects – disabling it solved the problem. You should first check if
the 1.1.2 release supports this configuration option (I honestly can’t
remember – it has been too long) - you may need to upgrade to 1.2 to do
this.

I hope that provides some help. If/when we get access to an AIX cluster,
we’ll try to dig deeper into this issue.

Ralph

On 12/22/06 7:44 AM, "Ali Eghlima" <Ali_Eghlima_at_[hidden]> wrote:

Hello,

We have Open MPI 1.1.2 installed on IBM AIX 5.3 cluster. It looks like
terminal output is broken. There are a few entry in the archive for this
problem,
with no suggested solution or real work around.

I am putting this posting with hope to get some advise for a work around
or solution.

#mpirun -np 1 hostname

       No out put, piping the command to "cat" or "more" generate no out
put as well.
       The only way to get an output from this command is to add
--debug-daemons

#mpirun -np 1 --debug-daemons hostname

Even this debug option is not working for a real application which
generate several output.

Looking forward for any comments.

Thanks

Ali,