From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-15 19:22:55

I don't know if anyone in the current OMPI team has any experience
with R (I don't). Most of the "new language bindings for MPI"
packages are implemented as simple wrappers around the C bindings.

If that is the case with the RMPI package, in principle, it should
work fine with Open MPI. That being said, I don't know how RMPI's
configure/build system works. It may need to be adapted to compile/
link against Open MPI properly. But then again, if RMPI works with
LAM, it may work out of the box with Open MPI (many of LAM's external
user UI aspects were derived from LAM). Specifically, if RMPI
compiles with the MPI wrapper compilers (mpicc and friends) and uses
proper types for MPI handles (i.e., does not assume that they are
integers), it may "just work" with Open MPI.

But I also agree with the statement that getting the RMPI author
involved is a good idea.

On Dec 11, 2006, at 9:58 PM, Andrew J Caird wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I looked into this a few months back, although we have had OK
> luck using LAM with R/MPI. I emailed the author of R/MPI, Dr.
> Hao Yu and his answer was:
>
>> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:57:40 -0500
>> From: Hao Yu <hyu_at_[hidden]>
>> To: "Caird, Andrew J" <acaird_at_[hidden]>
>> Subject: Re: Rmpi and OpenMPI?
>>
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> Sorry for my slow response to your message. So far I did not
>> have a chance to look at OpenMPI yet. Will MPICH also move to
>> OpenMPI? If OpenMPI is the way to go, I will find time to
>> investigate it and port Rmpi to work with OpenMPI.
>>
>> Hao
>
> Perhaps if you mentioned it to him another vote from the
> community would justify him spending his time on it.
>
> I hope this helps; good luck.
>
> --andy
>

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, A Lenzo wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am a user of R and have been having trouble with LAM/MPI. I
>> am curious as to whether OpenMPI would be a good option for me
>> to try instead. However, I am unsure as to whether OpenMPI and
>> R can be used together. Can someone tell me whether OpenMPI
>> can be used with R or not? If so, could someone please direct
>> me to the place where I could download the corresponding R
>> package?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> A Lenzo

Server Virtualization Business Unit