From: Brian W. Barrett (bbarrett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-21 20:08:00

On Nov 21, 2006, at 5:49 PM, Adam Moody wrote:

> Hello,
> We have some clusters which consist of a large pool of 8-way nodes
> connected via ethernet. On these particular machines, we'd like our
> users to be able to run 8-way MPI jobs on node, but we *don't* want
> them
> to run MPI jobs across nodes via the ethernet. Thus, I'd like to
> configure and build OpenMPI to provide shared memory support (or TCP
> loopback) but disable general TCP support.
>
> I realize that you can run without tcp via something like "mpirun --
> mca
> btl ^tcp", but this is up to the user's discretion. I need a way to
> disable it systematically. Is there a way to configure it out at
> build
> time or is there some runtime configuration file I can modify to
> turn it
> off? Also, when we configure "--without-tcp", the configure script
> doesn't complain, but TCP support is added anyway.

Try adding --enable-mca-no-build=btl-tcp to the configure line.
Autoconf is a bit odd -- it doesn't complain about --with or --enable
arguments that it doesn't know about. The reason for this is to make
it easier to support packages that run sub-configure scripts, but it
does make argument checking significantly more difficult...

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett
   Open MPI Team, CCS-1