From: Rainer Keller (keller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-25 12:29:32

Hello dear Katherine,
On Wednesday 25 October 2006 17:43, Katherine Holcomb wrote:
> We currently use MPICH on our Linux clusters, but due to a high
> frequency of semaphore problems we are planning to replace it. OpenMPI
> looks like our best candidate but we have hit a snag. We support
> multiple compilers (specifically PGI and Intel) and due to
> incompatibilities in different vendors' f90 .mod files, we have separate
> directories for OpenMPI with each compiler. Therefore we cannot set a
> global path to the OpenMPI binaries -- it will differ depending on the
> user's choice of compiler. I have read about the --prefix flag and this
> does work, but our users are mostly barely conversant with Unix and many
> would have difficulty finding and specifying the appropriate path. (We
> use the modules software environment currently to set paths and the like
> for them.)
If You use modules already, You can set the path / prefix depending on the
compilers to be used. Additionally, You may provide wrappers to mpirun to
specify the correct prefix, so that for the user nothing will change, so:

/opt/OpenMPI/bin/... mpi-wrappers calling
/opt/OpenMPI/1.1.2-pgi/...
/opt/OpenMPI/1.1.2-intel/...

We have used this kind of setup before to provide different versions of Open
MPI.

The next Open MPI-1.2 will provide --enable-orterun-prefix-by-default flag to
always have the prefix being passed.

Hope, I could help?

With best regards,
Rainer

> Is there some way to specify something like "use the same
> path as you are in" from the root process? There was some allusion in
> the FAQ to changing the wrappers to include directives, but the link led
> to a "no such category" page.

Dipl.-Inf. Rainer Keller       http://www.hlrs.de/people/keller
 High Performance Computing       Tel: ++49 (0)711-685 6 5858
   Center Stuttgart (HLRS)           Fax: ++49 (0)711-685 6 5832
 POSTAL:Nobelstrasse 19                 email: keller_at_[hidden]
 ACTUAL:Allmandring 30, R.O.030            AIM:rusraink
 70550 Stuttgart