From: Josh England (jjengla_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-16 00:19:24

On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 09:35 -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> - What exactly is your intent: a) do you want 100% static executables
> (to include the normal Linux system libraries), b) do you just want
> to avoid having to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH for some of the esoteric
> libraries such as libmpi, libtorque, libibverbs, etc., or c)
> something else?

The intent is more along the line of b).

> Given the messages from the linker and my prior mail, I'm not sure
> that a) is possible -- it will require more poking around to know for
> sure. b) is definitely possible simply by using --enable-static and
> --disable-shared and then using "mpicc" (and friends) as normal.
> OMPI will be built statically (to include torque and libibverbs,
> assuming you have .a's versions of both of those), but as Scott
> mentioned, system libraries such as dl and sysfs will be linked
> dynamically.

This sounds feasible, but it seems to me that if I configure Open MPI to
build both static and shared libraries in the same build, I should be
able to build both static and shared binaries from the same build. This
is the behavior seen with other MPI implementations. Is there a way to
get this behavior in Open MPI without having to deploy two different
installations, one shared and one purely static?

-JE