From: Abhishek Pratap (abhishek.vit_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-30 14:12:49

Hello Prakash

Thanks for replying man .I will try and put my issue in a detailed way.

See i have a MPI installed on 4 machines networked. with one being the
server on which i have a Mysql database installed.

Uptill now i had a perl program running serially on the server with string
comparison from the database , picks up a string and compares with ( n-1)
strings present in the database , so this takes up a lot of time as i have a
huge data which needs to be compared.

Now i am trying to run this job parallely. will i be able to run the same
script using the Parallel::MPI module.

How will the program run on multiprocessor accessing database present on the
main server.

I hope you got my point. I will really appreciate your patience to kindly
guide me on the same as i am stuck in this field as i am new to MPI.

Regards

Abhishek

On 9/29/06, Prakash Velayutham <prakash.velayutham_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yes. We do this all the time. But you should understand that the MySQL
> database server becomes your bottle neck in this parallel environment.
> In our case, we run the database servers also in parallel on the
> scheduler assigned nodes. But this is very much application-specific.
>
> Thanks,
> Prakash
>
> Abhishek Pratap wrote:
> > Hello All
> >
> > can i execute a perl program over MPI. My program has to access Mysql
> > database for accessing the data during runtime.
> >
> > Is it Possible here in perl i can use Perl's Parallel::MPI (or
> > Parallel::MPI::Simple) but will they be able to access the mysql
> database
> > simultaneously from the server.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Abhishek
> >
> > On 9/29/06, Prakash Velayutham <prakash.velayutham_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Use Perl's Parallel::MPI (or Parallel::MPI::Simple) module. Get it from
> >> CPAN. Documentation should be good enough to start with.
> >>
> >> Prakash

Abhishek Pratap
Third Year
Bioinformatics