From: Robert Latham (robl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-31 17:19:40

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 10:57:34AM -0400, Brock Palen wrote:
> We will be evaluating pvfs2 (www.pvfs.org) in the future. Is their
> any special considerations to take to get romio support with openmpi
> with pvfs2 ?

Hi

Since I wrote the ad_pvfs2 driver for ROMIO, and spend a lot of time
on PVFS2 in general, I've got a special interest in this thread :> I
hope your evaluation went well.

I don't know how well the PVFS2 support in OpenMPI has tracked
"upstream". The last official ROMIO release was 1.2.5.1 (and that was
... gosh, 3 years ago at least. sorry!). In the meantime, ROMIO's
PVFS2 driver has seen a lot of changes. the two codes (ROMIO in
OpenMPI vs ROMIO in MPICH2) are laid out differently enough that it's
hard to compare directly (too bad 'diff' isn't smarter about renamed
files), but I think OpenMPI has got at least the biggest bug fixes.

Do follow up on this thread to let us (or at least me) know how well
OpenMPI works with PVFS2. If you run into problems, I may be able to
provide a patch.

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Labs, IL USA                B29D F333 664A 4280 315B