From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-16 15:07:46

On Jul 14, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Warner Yuen wrote:

> I'm having trouble compiling Open MPI with Mac OS X v10.4.6 with
> the Intel C compiler. Here are some details:
>
> 1) I upgraded to the latest versions of Xcode including GCC 4.0.1
> build 5341.
> 2) I installed the latest Intel update (9.1.027) as well.
> 3) Open MPI compiles fine with using GCC and IFORT.
> 4) Open MPI fails with ICC and IFORT
> 5) MPICH-2.1.0.3 compiles fine with ICC and IFORT (I just had to
> find out if my compiler worked...sorry!)
> 6) My Open MPI confguration was using: ./configure --with-rsh=/usr/
> bin/ssh --prefix=/usr/local/ompi11icc
> 7) Should I have included my config.log?

It looks like there are some problems with GNU libtool's support for
the Intel compiler on OS X. I can't tell if it's a problem with the
Intel compiler or libtool. A quick fix is to build Open MPI with
static libraries rather than shared libraries. You can do this by
adding:

   --disable-shared --enable-static

to the configure line for Open MPI (if you're building in the same
directory where you've already run configure, you want to run make
clean before building again).

I unfortunately don't have access to a Intel Mac machines with the
Intel compilers installed, so I can't verify this issue. I believe
one of the other developers does have such a configuration, so I'll
ask him when he's available (might be a week or two -- I believe he's
on vacation). This issue seems to be unique to your exact
configuration -- it doesn't happen with GCC on the Intel Mac nor on
Linux with the Intel compilers.

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett