From: Edgar Gabriel (gabriel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-11 14:29:53

John Robinson wrote:
> The MPI publish/lookup calls should handle this, if OpenMPI has them. I
> haven't tried this with OpenMPI yet, but it claims MPI-2 compilance,
> right? ;-)

of course, but MPI does not say what an MPI port has to be. For Open MPI
this is *not* equal to a TCP port number... So you can open a port,
publish it, and another process can look this port-name up

> /jr
> ---
> Ralph H Castain wrote:

>>> the MPI port-name in Open MPI has nothing to do with a TCP port
>>> number. The port-name right now is a combination of the process
>>> name ( a tuple of cell id, job id and process id) and a tag used
>>> for the communication.
>>>
>>> Maybe somebody from the RTE group could comment on whether there is
>>> a possibility to specify a specific port number for OOB
>>> communication, I am not aware of any right now...
>>
>> I'm afraid not - the port number for OOB communications is determined
>> dynamically be each process, and then communicated between them.
>>
>> I'm not sure what your intended purpose is here, of course, but you
>> don't need to worry about your process being able to "talk" via the
>> OOB - it's all done automatically during launch.
>>
>> Ralph
>>

>>> Thanks Edgar

Edgar Gabriel
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science          email:gabriel_at_[hidden]
University of Houston                   http://www.cs.uh.edu/~gabriel
Philip G. Hoffman Hall, Room 524        Tel: +1 (713) 743-3857
Houston, TX-77204, USA                  Fax: +1 (713) 743-3335