From: Edgar Gabriel (gabriel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-07 14:09:47

Eric Thibodeau wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Before I embark on a train that will run out of tracks, I wanted to
> get a WFF concerning the spwaning mechanisme in OpenMPI. The intent
> is that I would program a "simple" parallel application that would
> demonstrate the ability of recent MPI implementations (OpenMPI) to
> dynamically ADD or remove processes from the parallel task pool. Of
> course, any documentation concerning these new features would also be
> greatly appreciated ;)

Open MPI supports spawning new processes as defined in the MPI-2
specification, see e.g.

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpi-standard/mpi-report-2.0/mpi2-report.htm

However, please note, that this does not modify MPI_COMM_WORLD.
MPI_COMM_WORLD is a static communicator which can not be changed, even
in Open MPI...

Thanks
Edgar