From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-15 09:39:14

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 10:05 -0700, Doolittle, Joshua wrote:
> I am running Open MPI version 1.0.2 and slurm 1.1.0. I can run slurm
> jobs, and I can run mpi jobs. However, when I run a mpi job in slurm
> batch mode with 4 processes, the processes do not talk to each other.
> They act like they are the only process. I'm running these in slurm
> batch mode. The job that I'm running is a simple mpi optimized hello
> world. I'm running these on an opteron (x86_64) blade system from a
> head node. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How are you running your batch job? Unlike some MPI implementations,
Open MPI jobs can not be started under SLURM without the use of
mpirun. You can either run mpirun under an interactive session:

   srun -N 4 -A
   mpirun -np 4 ./foobar

or from a batch script:

   echo "mpirun -np 4 ./foobar" > foo.sh
   chmod +x foo.sh
   srun -N 4 -b foo.sh

But you can't submit your application directly without mpirun. This
is a feature we would like to support in the future, but there are
some licensing issues (we would have to link with their GPL'ed
libraries, which wouldn't work so well for us).

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett
   Open MPI developer