From: Michael Kluskens (mkluskens_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-02 10:59:04

    --with-mpi-f90-size=SIZE

specifies the size of the Fortran 90 interface module that is
created. In Fortran 90 the compiler can validate all your calls only
if it has information of the functions/subroutines that you are
calling. This is done via a module with interfaces in OpenMPI and
almost every program anyone writes--if there is another way I don't
know about it yet.

Problem with MPI is that almost every call involves routines that can
accept a range of arguments in certain locations.

MPI_INIT is trivial

MPI_SEND is not. The first argument has dozens of possible types:
character, logical, integer, real, complex, which each can be
different sizes and also can be a scalar or an array with dimension 1
through 7. How many is that, lots.

And MPI_SEND is an easy case.

OpenMPI gives you four choices:

trivial -- MPI-2 F90-specific functions only

small -- trivial + all MPI functions without choice buffers

medium -- small + all MPI functions with one choice buffer (MPI_SEND
for example)

large -- medium + all MPI functions with 2 choice buffers, but only
when both buffers are the same type and same dimension (as currently
implemented). (MPI_GATHER for example) -- apparently new to 1.1
alphas and will be delayed to 1.2

Clear?

What I discovered is that the two choice buffers are only half useful
as currently implemented, since in half of the cases the buffers are
likely to be of different dimensions.

Then you have the special parameters, such as MPI_ANY_SOURCE,
MPI_ANY_TAG, MPI_STATUS_IGNORE and the biggest scary monster of all
MPI_IN_PLACE (declared double complex for reasons I don't understand
yet, but for good reason I'm certain, offhand I'd guess the number of
bytes the C routines expect in those locations).

Michael