From: Brian W. Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-25 18:26:08

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Terry Reeves wrote:

> Here is the out put for both g95 and gfortran
>

>>> From the output you sent, you ran "./configure FC=g95". Configure did
>> not find a valid F77 compiler, and therefore skipped both the F77 and
>> F90 bindings.
>>
>> Can you try:
>>
>> ./configure FC=g95 F77=g95
>> and/or
>> ./configure FC=gfortran F77=gfortran
>>
>> You said you tried the formed but it died in configure -- can you send
>> the configure output and config.log from that run?

There are two sepereate issues at work here.

Unfortunately, g95 as installed is broken and requires the -lSystemStubs
flag to all link commands in order to work properly. Normally, one could
just add -lSystemStubs to LDFLAGS and everything would work fine.
Unfortunately, there is a bug in the configure tests for Open MPI 1.0.x
that prevents this from working with Fortran 90. Jeff suggested a
workaround (adding -l in FCFLAGS) that's a really bad idea. A better
solution would be to use the 1.1 betas (available on the Open MPI web
page) or to get a copy of g95 that properly links (it has been suggested
that the one from Fink does this properly).

The issue with gfortran is much simpler -- it wasn't found in your path
when you ran configure. Make sure you can run 'gfortran -V' and get the
expected version output, then try re-running configure. My guess is that
your problems will go away. You can also specify a full path to gfortran,
like:

   ./configure FC=/usr/local/foo/bin/gfortran F77=/usr/local/foo/bin/gfortran

Just make sure you put the right path in ;).

Hope this helps,

Brian