From: W. Bryan Smith (wbsmith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-17 00:22:44

to successfully build ParaView with OpenMPI support in Linux:

1) compile OpenMPI and add openmpi/bin/ to the top of your PATH and add
openmpi/lib/ to the top of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable. this
is in my .cshrc so they are always set whenever i log in.

2) download the ParaView source (

3) edit CMakeLists.txt in the ParaView source directory to specify the MPI C
and C++ compilers:

4) make a ParaView build directory and cd to the new dir (ParaView requires
out-of-source builds)

5) configure the ParaView make using cmake as follows:

-DVTK_MPIRUN_EXE:FILEPATH=/path_to_openmpi1.0.2/bin/mpirun \

6) once the configure is complete (lots of text dumped to the screen), you
should be able to make the binaries (from within the paraview build

Now you can run ParaView in parallel mode using:

mpiexec -n NP /path_to_paraview_build/bin/./paraview

where NP = desired number of processes.
happy parallel volume rendering...