From: Michael Kluskens (mkluskens_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-25 15:37:50

Minor suggestion, change the first sentence to read:

- The Fortran 90 MPI bindings can now be built in one of four sizes
using --with-mpi-f90-size=SIZE.

Also, Open MPI 1.2 changes the --with-mpi-param-check default from
always to runtime according to my comparison of the 1.1 README and
1.2 configure --help; however, the 1.2 README disagrees with the 1.2
configure --help (betting the latter is more correct, maybe).

Michael

On Apr 25, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:

> How's this (from the new README):
>
> - The Fortran 90 MPI bindings can now be built in one of four sizes.
> These sizes reflect the number of MPI functions included in the
> "mpi" Fortran 90 module and therefore which functions will be
> subject to strict type checking. All functions not included in the
> Fortran 90 module can still be invoked from F90 applications, but
> will fall back to Fortran-77 style checking (i.e., little/none).
>
> - trivial: Only includes F90-specific functions from MPI-2. This
> means overloaded versions of MPI_SIZEOF for all the MPI-supported
> F90 intrinsic types.
>
> - small (default): All the functions in "trivial" plus all MPI
> functions that take no choice buffers (meaning buffers that are
> specified by the user and are of type (void*) in the C bindings --
> generally buffers specified for message passing). Hence,
> functions like MPI_COMM_RANK are included, but functions like
> MPI_SEND are not.
>
> - medium: All the functions in "small" plus all MPI functions that
> take one choice buffer (e.g., MPI_SEND, MPI_RECV, ...). All
> one-choice-buffer functions have overloaded variants for each of
> the MPI-supported Fortran intrinsic types up to the number of
> dimensions specified by --with-f90-max-array-dim (default value is
> 4).
>
> - large: All MPI functions (i.e., all the functions in "medium" plus
> all MPI functions that take two choice buffers, such as
> MPI_SCATTER, MPI_GATHER, etc.). All the two-choice-buffer
> functions will have variants for each of the MPI-supported Fortran
> intrinsic types up to the number of dimensions specified by
> --with-f90-max-array-dim, but both buffers will be of the same
> type.
>
> Increasing the size of the F90 module (in order from trivial, small,
> medium, and large) will generally increase the length of time
> required to compile user MPI applications. Specifically, "trivial"-
> and "small"-sized F90 modules generally allow user MPI applications
> to be compiled fairly quickly but lose type safety for all MPI
> functions with choice buffers. "medium"- and "large"-sized F90
> modules generally take longer to compile user applications but
> provide greater type safety for MPI functions.
>
>> I for one don't read the docs every week with new 1.1 alpha tests.
>
> Er... Well, good! Then I can claim that the docs were there the whole
> time. ;-)

Other than the fact that I just finished reading the 1.2 README
(nightly snapshot -- I'm bleeding enough with that, SVN would be a
bit much for me).

Michael