From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-16 14:42:38

On Apr 16, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Sang Chul Choi wrote:

> As an another similar question about installation,
> I think that installation of Open MPI should be done on the
> master and all slave nodes. A program which use MPI feature
> also seems to have to be installed on the master and all slave nodes
> unless I use NFS. My question is that:
> if I used OpenPBS software rather than rsh/ssh,
> is this installation problem of Open MPI and/or a MPI featured program
> solved? Or, even though I used OpenPBS, need I have
> each copy of my MPI-featured program installed on the master and
> all the slave nodes?
> My question can be about the difference between using rsh/ssh
> and using OpenPBS.

In general (and definitely for either rsh/ssh or PBS), both Open MPI
and your application must be available on every node before
attempting to use Open MPI. This isn't an MPI requirement as much as
a general systems requirement - you can't execute what doesn't exist,
so if you're going to run your MPI application, you have to have it
out on the compute node. There are some systems that can auto-
migrate your code, but in general they are for tightly coupled
systems and not general clusters (things like the Cray XT-3's
operating environment or the BProc system). In general, just
sticking the application in NFS is the easiest approach.

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett
   Open MPI developer