From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-12 12:04:18

On Apr 12, 2006, at 9:49 AM, Troy Telford wrote:

> Disclaimer: This isn't a support request per se; just gathering data.
>
> I'm able to compile Open MPI when SilverStorm's Linux IB drivers
> are being
> used (using the MVAPI device).
>
> However, it doesn't really work.
>
> A simple 'hello world' that simply returns the MPI rank seems to work
> fine, but whenever I try to do anything interesting with MPI (even
> something as common as linpack), nothing happens-- literally. No
> error
> messages, no work done; even the CPU utilization is zero. All the
> nodes
> have PIDs, orted daemons, etc. for the job, but the utilization
> from them
> is zero.
>
> SilverStorm's IB stack is apprently close enough to MVAPI to
> compile, but
> not close enough to work. Has anybody had any success with
> SilverStorm's
> Linux drivers with Open MPI?
>
> Again, I'm not really asking for somebody to make it to work, or
> for any
> development; but if there is a near zero effort method somebody
> knows of
> to get it to work, I'd be interested. Beyond that... well, the 2nd
> gen
> OpenIB.org drivers are on the horizon...

We've tested against the SilverStorm drivers for OS X with success,
but I don't think anyone has tried the Linux drivers. A quick poll
of the developers show that none of us has access to a Linux cluster
using the SilverStorm stack, so we can't really look too deeply at
the problem. If you compile with --enable-debug, are there any error
messages that show up?

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett