From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-10 11:54:23

On Apr 10, 2006, at 11:39 AM, Troy Telford wrote:

> This isn't a problem for me; it's more of a bugreport.
>
> When running ./configure --help, (on Open MPI 1.0.2) I found the
> following
> source of amusement:
>
> --enable-smp-locks disable smp locks in atomic ops (default:
> enabled)
>
> It occured to me that this may cause a bit of confusion...
>
> Whenever --enable-X is used to DISable something, it's bound to
> cause some
> head scratching.
>
> default:enabled -- does this mean the option which /dis/ables the SMP
> locks is the default, or does it mean that SMP locks are enabled by
> default.

Wow... I'm going to go hide in shame for that one. I take full
credit for that bit of stupidity. So, to clarify while I go fix the
configure option:

   --enable-smp-locks: enables SMP locks in atomic ops (this is
the default)
   --disable-smp-locks: disables SMPI locks in atomic ops (not the
default)

Note that unless you're running single threaded benchmarks, you
probably don't want to use this option.

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett