From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-03 15:02:31

On Apr 3, 2006, at 2:50 PM, Rolf Vandevaart wrote:

> From what I have read from the Open MPI documentation, it seems
> that the recommendation is to install Open MPI on an NFS server
> that is accessible to all the nodes in the cell.
>
> Are there any cases where it is recommended to install Open MPI
> locally on all the nodes in the cell instead? Maybe in the case of
> larger
> clusters if one is concerned about NFS traffic?

Sure, installing on each node individually has it's advantages -
namely drastically reducing NFS traffic. I think any suggestion of
installing in NFS was mainly because 1) it's easier and 2) it's less
likely to be messed up because of version mismatches. But for those
that are careful to keep their nodes in sync, there's no reason not
to install Open MPI on local disk.

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett