From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-28 13:22:22

On Mar 27, 2006, at 8:26 AM, Michael Kluskens wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2006, at 9:28 PM, Brian Barrett wrote:
>
>> On Mar 23, 2006, at 5:32 PM, Michael Kluskens wrote:
>>
>>> I have Absoft version 8.2a installed on my OS X 10.4.5 system and
>>> in order to do some testing I was trying to build OpenMPI
>>> 1.1a1r9364 with it and got the following funny result:
>>>
>>> *** Fortran 77 compiler
>>> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
>>> checking whether f95 accepts -g... yes
>>> checking if Fortran 77 compiler works... yes
>>> checking f95 external symbol convention... upper case
>>> checking if Fortran 77 compiler supports LOGICAL... yes
>>> checking size of Fortran 77 LOGICAL...
>>> checking for C type corresponding to LOGICAL... not found
>>> configure: WARNING: *** Did not find corresponding C type
>>> configure: error: Cannot continue
>>>
>>> Note that f95 is/should be my Absoft compiler but the configure
>>> script flags it as the GNU Fortran 77 compiler.
>>
>> The GNU Fortran thing just means that Absoft sets some flags that
>> g77/gfortran set. No worries there.
>>
>> I unfortunately can't replicate your issue with our Absoft
>> compilers, but we're at 9.2, so perhaps something has changed. The
>> test code in configure appears to have run correctly (according to
>> your config.log), but it doesn't look like it can read anything
>> from the file that is supposed to contain the sizeof result for the
>> test.
>>
>> Could you try to build and run the attached test code (should just
>> have to untar, run make, and run ./fsize) and let me know what the
>> result is? If all works properly, you should see something like:
>>
>> [21:23] brbarret_at_frood:ttyp3 ~/f77test% ./fsize
>> size is 4
>
> Yes, that is the result I got.
>
> I'm using Absoft 8.2a because that is that last version I have on my
> desktop and I'm trying to do some debugging so I'm using all the
> different compilers we have on all the different platforms we have.

Darn - I was hoping it would be something uber-simple. I have a
couple other theories as to what is going on. Could you try the
latest snapshot of the trunk (r9440) and see what happens when you
run configure with that? As always, it can be downloaded from:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/nightly/trunk/

If nothing else, it will spew a bit more debugging information into
the config.log that might help figure out what is going on.

Thanks,

Brian