From: Jeff Squyres \(jsquyres\) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-27 16:11:10

We all think that Open MPI is fantastic, but we're a little biased.

FWIW, I used to be the lead developer on LAM/MPI, and I'll tell you that
the LAM guys are now spending the vast majority of their time on Open
MPI. Specifically: LAM is in maintenance mode.

For your code, most MPI implementations (Open MPI, LAM/MPI, etc.)
support the same API. So if it compiles/links with one, it *should*
compile/link with the others (assuming you coded it in an MPI-conformant
way). Most of the tutorials out there are for MPI programming, and have
a smattering of information about how to compile/run for a particular
implementation. So -- most any of the tutorials are fine.

For Open MPI, it's quite similar to LAM -- use mpicc / mpiCC / mpif77 /
mpif90 to compile and link your application, and then use mpirun to run
it (there is no lamboot / lamhalt step in Open MPI like there is with
LAM). Check out the FAQ on the Open MPI web site for more details:

        http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/

Hope that helps.